Namaqua Wild Flower Spectacular
5 Nights, 6 days.
Our guided tour of the wild flowers of Namaqualand starts from the Garden Route.
Explore exquisite scenery along the coast to the surrounding flower regions of the West Coast.
The main aim of the tour is to experience a dazzling array of wild flowers that occur across the wild valleys, farmlands, fields, the Cederberg, Clanwilliam and the breathtaking Swartland.
The costing is based on August & September because this is spring and the best time to visit South Africa for its wild flower spectacular.
Day 1: Plettenberg Bay to Citrusdal
- Meet & greet at 07:00 your private Guide and vehicle in Plettenberg Bay and continue to further pickups along the Garden Route.
- First pitstop will be in Swellendam for a traditional South African roosterkoek with coffee or tea.
- Stop at Van Loveren Wine Estate. In their tasting room you can enjoy an informal tasting at the pods, including chocolate and wine, cheese and wine, charcuterie and wine, nougat, nuts and wine, a Four Cousins fan pairing as well as non-alcoholic pairings.
- Continue to Porterville located at the foot of the Olifants River Mountains to Citrusdal at the base of the Cederberg Mountains through the Piekenierskloof mountain pass.
- After a quick stop at the Kardoesie Shop we spend the night at Piekenierskloof Mountain resort on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis.
Day 2: Citrusdal to Vanrhynsdorp
- Continue from Citrusdal to Clanwilliam in the Olifants River Valley at the foot of the Cederberg mountains. The two main towns, Citrusdal and Clanwilliam, are in this valley
- Today we experience another part of the West Coast. We travel via Vredendal and Lutzville. Here we see the northern region of the Olifants River Valley with its first-class vineyards and vegetable plantations. Strandfontein, one of the most popular holiday destinations along the West Coast, is our next stop. Just south of Strandfontein we find the picturesque fishermen’s town of Doringbaai.
- A short distance will take us to Vanrhynsdorp where we will spend 2 nights at Letsatsi Lodge on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis.
Day 3: Vanrhynsdorp to Vanrhynsdorp
- Today is most certainly the highlight of the tour. We start the day early with a trip to the Knersvlakte. Even though it might look like nothing grows along the plains, on closer inspection we see a magnificent diversity of dwarf succulents. These tiny plants grow between the white quartz stones and are small enough to miss if you drive by yet extraordinary if you stop to look. Next, we move into the Hardeveld with its signature towns Nuwerus and Bitterfontein. After we bid farewell to the Hardeveld we move to the Namaqualand Klipkoppe. This beautiful mountainous region stretches from Garies past Springbok. And of course, we get to see Namaqua’s beautiful flowers in full bloom! This promises to be the highlight of the day.
- Today we take a different route through the Knersvlakte. We travel towards the Bokkeveld Mountain range where we will drive up the Vanrhyn’s Pass. This pass promises some of the most awe-inspiring, views of Namaqualand you will ever see. After we reach the summit, we head towards Nieuwoudtville, the bulb capital of the world to the majestic Nieuwoudtville Waterfall and the quiver tree forest. We will also spend some time at the local Dutch Reformed church. This beautiful sandstone building has a very interesting story around it’s founding.
- Return to Vanrhynsdorp
Day 4: Vanrhynddorp to Clanwilliam
- Today promises to be one of the most exciting and unique days of our tour! After another hefty breakfast, we tackle the road towards Clanwilliam following the Olifants River. Once we reach Clanwilliam we head towards the Pakhuis Pass into the Cederberg Mountains and over the Brandewyn River. We travel towards the Biedouw Valley. This valley, permitting a good season, can boast some of the most beautiful flower spectacles you will ever see.
- Here we visit the Strassbergers shoe factory where we will be able to see how authentic “vellies” are made before you can buy yourself a pair of “proudly South African vellies”.
- Today you can explore the area further and possibly do a Rooibos and Fynbos Tour. Other sights you can visit depending on interest: Ramskop Nature Reserve (if not visited on the first day), Flower Church and Rooibos Tea Tasting.
- Spend the night in Clanwilliam on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis.
Day 5: Clanwilliam to Cape Town
- After breakfast we depart and travel towards Lambert’s Bay and visit the gannets on Bird Island. You travel via Elands Bay with a possible stop at Rocherpan Nature Reserve. You continue to the Coastal town of Langbaan via Velddrif.
- The town of Langebaan overlooks the Langebaan Lagoon, a saltwater lagoon that was formed by the rise and fall of the tides many thousands of years ago. To its immediate south lies the West Coast National Park where you visit the West Coast National Park and the Postberg Flower Reserve.
- Visit Darling, the hometown of Evita Bezuidenhout.
- Continue to Paarl in the Winelands for a final wine tasting before we book into our accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis..
Day 6: Cape Town – Plettenberg Bay
- Travel over the Klein Drakenstein Mountains to Worcester in the Breede River Valley, enjoying the wonderful scenery which changes from lush orchards to dramatic mountain views.
- Continue along Route 62 towards the Little Karoo passing through Barrydale and Calitzdorp, famous for their wine and quality port respectively, to Oudtshoorn, once the centre of the ostrich feather boom.
- Lunch (for own account) at a lovely restaurant in the semi-desert area where we will enjoy truly South African cuisine.
- Continue along Route 62 to reach a private game reserve in Oudtshoorn.
- Head for Wilderness on the Garden Route coast via a scenic drive that takes you over the breathtakingly beautiful Outeniqua Mountain pass.
- Drop off in Mosselbay, George, Knysna and in Plettenberg Bay where the tour ends.
Rate from:R13 900.00 pp sharing
R14 900.00 as a single supplement
- Luxury air-conditioned 14-seater vehicle with your own personal, highly qualified guide.
- Accommodation on a shared basis.
- Accommodation and meals of the driver and/or guide.
- Meals as specified (5 breakfasts and 5 dinners).
- Excursions and transfers as shown in the itinerary
- Relevant Park fees.
- All activities and entrance fees as mentioned.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Drinks, entrance fees, porterage, tours/excursions and transfers not specified above.
- Staff gratuities.
- Any new Government taxes, levies, fuel or industry increases which are beyond our control.
- Accommodation establishments may change.
- 50% (R….) payable within 4 days of receiving your invoice to secure this tour AND 50% (R….) the balance 30 days prior to arrival
- If you cancel your tour with a notice period of 65 days or more, we will refund 75% of the total booking cost or deposit received.
- 50 - 64 days notice - we will refund 50% of the total booking cost or deposit received.
- 36 - 49 days notice - we will refund 25% of the total booking cost or deposit received.
- 35 days or less - there will be no refund of any monies.
- Should you fail to take up your booking or tour, join it after departure or leave before it is complete, you will not receive any refund or credit.
Click on images below to enlarge them.